Episode 13: Steps One and Two with Benn B.

These podcasts are a great deal of fun and I am fortunate to have such an opportunity to speak with so many people in the program, and to benefit from the wide variety of  experience that exists among us. In this episode, I had an engaging conversation with Benn B. from Lincoln, Nebraska about the first two steps in our program of recovery. We examined these two steps from a secular perspective, drawing upon our own personal experience. We find that the steps are simple and complex at the same time.

It obvious when speaking with Benn, that he knew his stuff. He has a good understanding of the Steps as presented in AA literature, and he has great insight into the culture of Alcoholics Anonymous. This was helpful in exploring the similarities and differences in a secular view of the AA program as opposed to the traditional view as presented in our literature.

I hope you enjoy listening to this conversation as much I did participating in it.

About Benn B.

Benn has been active in AA for over 8 years attending both traditional and Agnostic/Atheist/Freethinker meetings. He has past experience in the recovery field working as an addictions counselor for approximately three years. His interests include film, golf, Nebraska Cornhusker athletics, and San Antonio Spurs basketball. On the day after recording this podcast, Benn and his his wife Kelly welcomed a new little baby girl into the world, and Benn is now a happy and proud father.

1. Rajiv B May 16, 2016 at 2:20 am - Reply

Oh, I just found this link: https://www.createspace.com/pub/community/give.review.do?id=1126070 where I have shared about my understanding of Step One and Step Two, and on how there is no need for us to believe in God in order to take the Steps.

2. Rajiv B May 16, 2016 at 2:12 am - Reply

Thanks John, that was a great discussion on the first steps. And your absolutely right when you say that the Conference Approved Literature is the real problem. I’ve made a detailed study of all our Literature, and I think I’ll make a podcast on it soon and share it with you explaining what I have discovered about the Steps and the literature.

Thanks again Benn and John for opening up this discussion on the Steps.

3. Jon S May 1, 2016 at 9:52 am - Reply

Fantastic podcast. Well done Benn & John. JS

4. Becky G. March 25, 2016 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Oh my GOD 😉 I am heading into my 10th year of sobriety and I have been STRUGGLING with so many issues that you both spoke about!  Thank you for your podcast because listening to this has been SUCH a tremendous relief to my mind!!!  Thank you for discussing Step 2 in the 12×12.  I am in a study group and studying some of the EXACT same lines you men talked about and I have been really having a hard time accepting what he is saying because it has not been my experience!

I love that you talked about antidepressants!  I love that you talked about people being the link to sobriety!  I could go on.  I really hope you continue to talk about these steps and I REALLY hope I don’t miss these discussions(podcasts)!  I am relieved and grateful to hear others have the same experience!  I wish I could outreach with you both because it was SO VALIDATING to hear you.  Have I made myself clear?  🙂  I have a tendency to get excited when I hear something in recovery that actually works for me!  Thank you again!

• Benn B March 29, 2016 at 6:03 pm Reply

Wow! Thanks so much for the awesome feedback. If what we can talk about openly and honestly … just speaking our hearts and minds … can help just one person it’s worth it! It made me feel really great to read your message! I believe John S’s plan is to continue to go through the steps.

It’s just great being able to feel free to have my own opinion on this whole deal … the way it was meant to be. Too often when I speak with others in AA, to question anything is akin to being unwilling. If someone was really unwilling they just wouldn’t say anything and would leave. Questioning and making further inquiry is a GOOD sign! It shows someone is wanting to continue to work to be a part of AA. Too often attempting to be authentic to oneself is seen as trying to be terminally unique … so not true. Hopefully we can be the change we hope to see 🙂

Thanks again for your lovely words and I hope you keep working and speaking your truth. I find more people think like we do than we think. All it takes is one person to be authentic and it encourages others in the meeting as well. Unfortunately it gets up the ire of the dogmatists as well.

5. Christopher G March 22, 2016 at 12:10 pm - Reply

What a great tool to share with a newcomer interested in steps one and two. Thank you guys.

• Benn B March 29, 2016 at 6:09 pm Reply

Thanks Christopher! Very happy you enjoyed it!

• John S March 22, 2016 at 12:23 pm Reply

I appreciate the kind feedback. These podcasts are quite an interesting experience and it’s really gratifying to hear when they are helping people.