Notes from Down Under: Meetings, Storytellers, Fellowship, and Sobriety

By PJ

My experiences with and within the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

The late Broken Hill Jack (long term sober Sydney member) used to say, “The three most important things in your sobriety are meetings, meetings, and meetings.” In his view, the meetings that he referred to as “The clinic of calm,” served a definite and invaluable purpose for the alcoholic.

He expanded on this idea by describing how at around fifteen minutes into the meeting the alcoholic might experience “emotional discipline” coupled with “mental diversion.” These two elements were essential to toning down and settling down our overly sensitive and overactive nervous systems.  Emotional discipline allows us to relax, both mentally and physically, creating an environment where we can experience mental relief from agitations of the mind. With continued and regular exposure to this therapeutic meeting environment, we develop the art of listening, mentally diverting our attention onto the speaker. Jack said, “Over time, with practice, we can, for probably the first time in our lives, experience a feeling of mental calm. If we are calm mentally, then we can listen, and if we can listen then we can learn.”

Until I heard Jack speak I knew that the meetings were of tremendous benefit to me and that almost invariably I would feel better afterwards. As an example, in early sobriety I went to a meeting determined to drink afterwards, but decided I would take in one last meeting to prove that AA wouldn’t work. Of course afterwards, the idea of picking up a drink seemed ridiculous. Something happened during the meeting that I now believe was the therapeutic effect as described by Jack.

Getting an alcoholic to attend a meeting in the first place can be very challenging. In my own case there was no way I would go to a meeting, never mind admitting to being an alcoholic. I then relented, attending two AA meetings purely to placate my wife and keep a marriage going. While I left the meeting even more convinced that I was not an alcoholic, AA did spoil my drinking. I never drank with the same ease again, having been exposed to the honest sharing of other alcoholics.  But drink again I did.

I returned to AA three years later with the gift of desperation. Alcohol had stopped working for me and instead of relieving my anxieties, as it once had, it only made them worse. I experienced levels of unimaginable fear, and one night I realised I could not continue like this. Something had to be done and I was desperate to stop drinking.

I was a start/stop periodic drinker and prior to this had been trying to give up alcohol. I even circled days on a calendar when I hadn’t drunk in an attempt to stop. But the fears would build up again and this overly sensitive, nervous system of mine would require relief. I thought I could just have a few drinks, settle the shakes down, get some sleep and, continue on. The morning after I would hate myself for busting, and throw out the leftover beer (at 2 am to avoid detection). Then a few weeks later I would buy some more and start again. Yet through all this period of time, I did have a grip on the third tradition, even though I was unaware of it at the time.

So, at 29 days off the grog I got back to AA and was willing to give it a go. Terry from Kogarah used to ask, “Are you living the life you want to live; if not has alcohol got anything to do with it?” “Has alcohol cost you more than money?” “Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?” And Irish Des used to say, “If you don’t get AA maybe AA will get you.” This is essentially what happened to me; my resistance was worn down by the love and concern of other members.

Railway Norm told me “You have to be ruthless about your sobriety. Don’t let anybody or anything come between you and the first step.” He also emphasised, “This is not an overnight affair.”

Generally, the message was very simple “Don’t pick up the first drink, one day at a time, go to meetings and get involved.” “One drink is too many, a hundred’s not enough.” “If you don’t pick up the first drink you can’t get drunk.” “You need to go to meetings to stay sober.” “Give time time.”

The early days were hard — withdrawals, shakes, sleepless nights, the racing mind. But, the meetings settled me down as Jack described, giving me some relief. I instinctively knew that somehow the answer lay in the meetings of AA.

Although I was literate, I was unable to read in the beginning and was concerned that I would not be able to stay sober if I couldn’t read the literature. But Little Davey told me not to worry, to put the books aside, that I could come back to them later. The first book I read at nine months sober was a children’s’ book with pictures and I was so proud of myself. It took me years to read the literature but there is no sobriety timetable that dictates where you should be at any given length of sobriety.

That being said, there are plenty of sobriety experts (Stepologists) in the fellowship more than happy to tell you how you’re not getting sober the right way. The Stepologists claim that their way is the only way and you had better take notice of what they say and do it the right way. Bill from Paddington told me, “No one speaks for AA and the best way to get sober is the way that works for you.” So I ignored the Stepologists and instead took notice of members with experience in staying sober while dealing with all sorts of problems in life. Relaxer Jack used to say, “The young man knows it all, the old man has seen it all.”

I had difficulty talking and holding a conversation in the early days, and struggled with sharing. I needed a drink to converse, so Stan from Ramsgate advised me to start telling my story, disclosing what I used to be like, what happened, and what I was like now. Initially, I could not see the benefit of this, but over time I began to see and understand that my drinking was driven by alcoholism. And maybe the good old days weren’t so good.

The AA storytellers attracted me to sobriety through their stories, even though in the early days I still felt apart and separate from the fellowship. Since I was only a periodic drinker, I honestly doubted if I was a real alcoholic. I held on to the view that real alcoholics could not go one day without a drink. Once again the old-timers encouraged me to keep doing what I was doing, and I did love going to meetings.

Then I heard a speaker called Athol share a periodic drinking story very similar to mine, and he spoke to Broken Hill Jack about this dilemma. He could stay away from alcohol for long periods of time without being interested in it. Jack said to him, “The question you need to ask yourself is not how long it is between your drinking spells, but rather after you take the first drink how long before you have the second drink.” Athol replied, “It’s only a matter of seconds.” Then Jack responded, “I wonder why that is?” Bingo. I understood I only needed to take that first sip of alcohol to trigger the physical compulsion and mental obsession.

So, over time I gradually became part of the AA story of one alcoholic sharing their experience, strength, and hope with another alcoholic. As well as a drinking story, I began to have a sobriety story. Like the older sober members, I began to learn how to handle all sorts of problems without the need to pick up a drink.

I still couldn’t read, but I listened to CD’s in my car on the way to and from work as a way of learning. The Australian AA history CD’s hooked me in, giving me a sense of belonging to something that had a history and was still developing. I met members who knew our AA co-founders from their early days and they would quote them and share their experience.

I was under the impression that if I did the steps the “right way,” with the “right sponsor,” and understood the big book the “right way,” and did it all at the “right time,” then I would be elevated to some position of mental nirvana. Of course I was very frustrated and disappointed with myself when this just wasn’t happening. I then heard a recording of Dr Sylvester Minogue, an alcoholic psychiatrist and co-founder of Australian Alcoholics Anonymous in 1945. He said, “You are what you are. You have to accept yourself as an alcoholic and AA can’t change you. All AA does is to teach you a philosophy of life, a way of living so that you can learn to live with yourself and put up with yourself.” Hearing Minogue was a big relief and allowed me to take the pressure off myself.

My transition to atheism came over a long period of time and started at around seventeen years sober. I had the industrial strength Irish Catholic God of fear beaten into me as a kid. So initially, I had to learn how to unwind all of that and was advised to establish a relationship with a loving God. I thought I had achieved this, but still the prayers seemed hollow and meaningless. My breakthrough came in December of 2015 when I attended an AA meeting in Orlando, Florida. A member shared about being an atheist and explained that he could nonetheless put all the steps into his life. What a thing to hear. I didn’t realise that atheists existed in AA. The next speaker was a Christian woman whose share was a lambasting of him personally. But it didn’t matter because I had heard him and now knew for certain that atheists could stay sober in AA.

A few weeks later I was in Berkley, California and attended an atheist AA meeting and was in awe at being in a roomful of atheist alcoholics. The secretary gave me some useful website contacts that allowed me to access a wealth of resources.

We now have a Quad A (Alcoholics Anonymous for Atheists and Agnostics) meeting in Sydney (six weeks in) that provides a space for atheists to experience our storytelling, fellowship, and sobriety.

My story continues and grows with AA and I attend all the meetings that suit me. I don’t want to change anything to do with the program, as I got sober without atheist AA meetings. However we do need a space for like-minded people so that they can feel safe and comfortable sharing their doubts about the “God stuff.”

I have quoted AA members in this writing to acknowledge the importance of what they said and its impact on my sobriety, and I hope that some of you readers will benefit from this too.

So, I will finish with one final quote from Broken Hill Jack: “Love many, trust a few, and learn to paddle your own canoe.”

About the Author, PJ

PJ migrated to Sydney Australia from Ireland in 1989 and got sober in 1993. Having come from an Irish tradition of oral storytelling he naturally gravitated towards the wonderful Sydney AA storytellers, sharing experience, strength, and hope. This has proven to be a mainstay of his sobriety with the tried and tested formula of sharing in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. He co-founded the Sydney Brookvale Quad-A ID meeting with Dave in February 2017 and has enjoyed the tremendous boost to sobriety that being part of a new meeting provides. The Brookvale meeting continues to grow and develop and provides a safe space for those not sure about the ‘God’ bit.

Photos

Original photos by PJ   1. Sydney Opera House, Sydney, Australia, 2. Big Book (Jim Burwell’s story Vicious Cycle)

Audio

The audio version of this story was recorded by Len R. from Jasper, Georgia. Len is interested in starting a secular AA meeting in his area. If you would like to join him, please send an email to lenr.secularsobriety@gmail.com

1. Justin July 20, 2017 at 2:57 am - Reply

BTW, our email is aaaacanberra @ gmail.com

2. Justin July 20, 2017 at 2:51 am - Reply

PJ  – I co-founded Quad A Canberra. I have been meaning to get to your meeting. I heard that you may visit Canberra soon. We meet in the City library on Friday night. Would be great to see you there. If you search on aa.org.au you find meeting and contact details.

3. Anon June 2, 2017 at 8:33 pm - Reply

Where can one find information on Quad A meetings as mentioned in the article? Times, venues etc. Seems there is zero web presence, which is a huge oversight, considering how many people in Sydney would support an Agnostic AA group, myself included

4. Gerald May 8, 2017 at 3:59 pm - Reply

The AA program really does work for atheists. The program keeps me from screwing up the good deals I get in life, and when life gives me lemons the program helps me make lemonade.

I ask that my thinking be divorced from self-pity. I pray – because it works! – but I pray as an atheist.

I practice the destruction of self-centeredness: the unsparing self-surveys, the leveling of my pride, the confession of my shortcomings, the restitution for harms done, and enough faith in & dependence upon _something other than my own great thinking_ to make me pause before I act upon some knee jerk PTSD reaction to life 🙂

Like you said, it’s not nirvana, but this unfolding spiritual experience of the educational variety is available to atheists like me.

AA is a program of action, not a program of belief.

The fellowship validated me, encouraged me, comforted me. It actually was the only period of calm in my day when I was new and had not yet begun the practice of the AA program. The meetings were a speed bump in the course of the day.

Me, too, sober ’93. I’m not a newcomer anymore 🙂 . I can give myself a period of calm at any time of the day by practicing the destruction of self-centeredness. It’s usually as simple as reminding myself that I shouldn’t have lived to see ’94, that I actually have a really good life now, that I keep trading up in life from one set of problems to a better set of problems :-), and that maybe I should give one of my kids a hug or ask my wife if she needs some help with something.

… I crave the fellowship of fellow atheists, etc., nowadays. I just cannot remain a closeted atheist in AA anymore.

Thanks!

5. Len R. May 7, 2017 at 4:37 pm - Reply

PJ, thank you for the wonderful, colorful, and inspiring story.  Often, when I share at meetings a tell them I am only repeating what I learned or heard form others.  Thank you for generously expanding my repertoire.

Wishing you and yours all the best…

6. Lubow May 7, 2017 at 3:24 pm - Reply

Pj

Hi, liked your story first time I heard it, love it now in print. Thanks for starting our meeting, it’s been a life saver for me but the meeting after the meeting over coffee, that’s the best and what aa meetings arevfor me, fellowship.

For everyone who enjoyed the reading the sayings and the wisdom nuggets, you should hear them relayed with that Irish/Aussie accent, totally different and much more powerful.

See you soon in Brookvale

Lubow

• pj May 7, 2017 at 7:10 pm Reply

Thanks for the  good reference Lubow. As you say I am also a big fan of the meeting after the meeting, fellowship. See you at Brookvale.

PJ

7. Kit G May 7, 2017 at 12:54 pm - Reply

A fair dinkum share, mate! Bloody lov’d it!

• pj May 7, 2017 at 3:11 pm Reply

Bloody oath!

8. life-j May 7, 2017 at 11:46 am - Reply

PJ, thanks, this was a good story for my sunday morning. I like it when we can keep our program down to earth.

Funny how these days I start to bristle when I see a big book, and then this picture at the bottom says “My brilliant agnosticism vanished, …” I couldn’t help torturing myself and find page 246 in the third edition, where it continues: “… and I saw for the first time that those who really believed, or at least tried to find a Power greater than themselves were much more composed and contented than I had ever been, and they seemed to have a degree of happiness which I had never known.”

The story even ends with “… by the grace of God as I understand Him, I will retain a happy sobriety.”

“The Vicious Cycle” is of course by none other than AA’s most outspoken original non-believer Jim Burwell.

So I don’t know, of course, how much browbeating Bill had to do to make him write all that. Just goes to show how, in many places the big book is just a lot of shit.

But with the benefit of program hindsight I am strongly aware that yes, there are indeed believers who are more composed and contented than I have ever been, but it seems, these days,  the majority of them are judgmental, righteous, narrowminded, and whistling in the dark. I’ll take my brilliant agnosticism any day, whether in fact brilliant or not, as I believe Jim Burwell did once he was done writing this story.

Sorry wound up not saying much about the story, but it really was delightful and straightforward.

9. Pat N. May 7, 2017 at 9:54 am - Reply

My home group meets after I read this column on Sunday mornings, and it often gives me something to share. Today it will be those excellent questions:

“Are you living the life, etc.” and

“Has alcohol cost you etc.”

AND the term “Stepologist”, which I’ve never heard.

AND Joe’s idea of putting my paddle back in the water instead of whining.

Sometimes, I wonder if I ever say anything original at a meeting, since I’ve heard/read so many good things from members of the fellowship. I fear that I’m just quoting others’ wisdom, having forgotten where/when I heard it.

• pj May 7, 2017 at 7:13 pm Reply

Hi Pat, great to hear that the wisdom of those who went before us continues on. I’m sure Terry from Kogarah would get a kick out of knowing that something that he heard when he first got sober in the 1960’s is now circulating on the world wide web.

10. Lance B. May 7, 2017 at 9:20 am - Reply

Good morning, PJ;

Your discussion caught my attention immediately today.  I have often described the meeting I sat in when my stomach settled one half inch.  A half inch I’d never known it was above normal.  Then for quite a few meetings I waited and watched for that to happen again half way through a meeting.  I hadn’t stopped slipping yet, but the phenomenon was huge.  It sounds very much like Broken Hill Jack’s description of “emotional discipline” happening 14 minutes into the meeting coupled with “mental diversion”.

I too loved your nicknames and remember many of those around our groups with fondness.

The slogans themselves are remembered with great fondness by me and quite a few of yours are unfamiliar.   Meetings in Montana are isolated and small.  In that milieu we don’t get exposed to so many interesting expressions which can become part of our repertoire of fall back positions when life becomes difficult.  Thus stories such as yours on the internet and speaker tapes provide a broadening effect on our sober resources.

Thank you for writing this article. With your article in hand,  I’ll broach the subject of “my favorite AA slogans” in the upcoming meeting in Miles City, MT.

• pj May 7, 2017 at 3:21 pm Reply

Hi Lance, I am a big fan of the therapeutic benefit of an AA meeting on the Alcoholic. I remember thinking I could save alcoholics by myself by perfecting my 12th step skills. An old timer, Ernie from Ramsgate told me simply to “Just get them to a meeting”

11. bob k May 7, 2017 at 8:40 am - Reply

LOVED the nicknames!! My late father got sober in 1961, and in his era, everybody had a nickname – Hamburger John, Drunken Duncan, Cardboard Joe, Barstool Billy, T-shirt Ted, etc. I also LOVED the oldtimers’ slogans. As an out-of-the closet atheist from the beginning, I did realize that I needed help stopping drinking. I got some serious mileage out of slogans, and I continue to be a meetings guy.

Although I’ve never become a stepologist in any sort of fundamentalist way, I have certainly benefited from self-examination, amends, helping others, etc., some sort of bastardized version of AA’s 12 steps. There is some strong psychology, I think, beneath all the religious language. I particularly have changed in learning to talk about myself in a very honest way.

Secular AA is a growing thing in my area, and it’s exciting to be a part of that. At our best, we secularists take what we want from AA, and leave the rest. It can be a mistake to take too little.

12. John S May 7, 2017 at 8:29 am - Reply

I love the nicknames! Thank you, PJ for sharing your story, I can relate to it very well. There was an old-timer at my original home group who used to say repeatedly, “the magic is in the meetings.” That has been my experience from the very beginning. It was the meetings and connecting with other alcoholics that helped me more than anything else. In times when I wanted to drink, the best tool to help me was the telephone and a conversation with another alcoholic.

13. Thomas B. May 7, 2017 at 8:22 am - Reply

Wonderful sharing, PJ, of the essence of the healing power in AA through the sharing of our experience, strength and hope when we tell our stories of recovery a day at a time by not picking up the first drink, going to meetings, and helping others. Thanks !~!~!

14. Joe C. May 7, 2017 at 8:21 am - Reply

“Love many, trust a few and paddle your own canoe.” Well isn’t that a motto for surviving and thriving? PJ, thanks for sharing your life and sobriety story and thanks for giving us a taste of down-under AA.  Having got sober before the Internet era which we all take for granted now, I still marvel at how websites like this make a small town out of a big world.

There is age-old truths that AA philosophy borrows from and this ditty passed on to PJ and now generously shared, is as AA as anything in any of our literature.  This idea meets me where I’m at in my relationship with AA. I try to love all of AA, those I easily relate to and those who rub me a wrong way. It’s wise to trust a few. Intimacy requires vulnerability but that doesn’t mean I ought not be on guard. Every member and every group can enjoy more of life if we paddle our own canoe. My canoe is where I live; it will keep me safe if I maintain ballence and do what’s needed to stear and progress.

It’s easy to wish my autonomy away to some greater construct, be it supernatural or human. When you hear me decry the government or GSO or life itself should this-or-that, I’ve forgotten that no one can and no one wants to paddle my own canoe. I give my power away when I blame or demand.  Foolish as it sounds, I’m sure I’ll do it again. I hope I remember this motto before I make too much of an ass out of myself. If not, you all have permission to suggest that if I put my paddle back in the water, everything will be fine.

Have a great day, everyone.