God on Every Page

Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
Pat N.
Pat N.
3 months ago

Thanks, Alex. My home group today talked about this same old issue re atheism, agnosticism, religion, etc. I think secular groups discuss these more than traditional, “believing” groups do. Can’t be sure, since I just don’t go to the latter any more. I stopped drinking because of my own efforts, but those efforts needed support, ideas, and good examples from the fellowship. I find it more helpful to call that an Inner or Basic Power. My Inner Power had been dormant for years-it took the fellowship of AA to help me find it and use it. I think that Power… Read more »

John B
John B
3 months ago

I don’t usually read your articles but am glad I read this one. I have 23 years sobriety and please bare with me, I did this with the grace of God and the fellowship of AA. I was brought up christian but had left the church and in the beginning I used my group as a higher power but I always wondered what if there was a god? I disagreed with organized religion who I might add have tried to make spirituality theirs and it isn’t. Finally I joined a secular group the Broader Path in Odessa, ON as it… Read more »

Dean W
Dean W
3 months ago

Interesting article, Alex. I’d say go with your first instinct: “Of course it is!!” But if the ‘spiritual but not religious’ approach, intellectually untenable in my opinion, works for you so be it. Different strokes for different folks. I hope you were able to help your friend.

Tracey R
Tracey R
3 months ago

“Our book is not perfect, but it does try to keep the door open to atheists, agnostics, freethinkers and alcoholics from all walks of life.“ This statement is pure BS. If it weren’t, traditionalists would welcome us with open Grapevine. 2016. Enough said!

Jacques
Jacques
3 months ago
Reply to  Tracey R

What’s happening here? Tracey is right. This is BS. Where did this post come from? Very out of character for this site. Has this site been hijacked?

John S
Admin
3 months ago
Reply to  Jacques

No, the site has not been hijacked. This story was published in the AA Grapevine by an AA member who identifies as an atheist. His understanding of AA and how he relates his experience may be very different from yours, but it is his experience that he is sharing. Not all atheist AA members are the same, there is a lot of variance in their experience and how they express it. Sometime ago, Alex asked us to post this story here, and it took a long time, but we eventually did. Again, he is an atheist member in AA, and… Read more »

Harry Clark
Harry Clark
3 months ago

I commented on this post when I saw it this morning. I just saw that John Huey has posted along similar lines. Can you explain to me what’s happened?

John S
Admin
3 months ago
Reply to  Harry Clark

Harry, sometimes the SPAM filter incorrectly filter posts so that I don’t see them to approve. It was not intentional.

Harry Clark
Harry Clark
3 months ago
Reply to  John S

Thanks John, thought Beyond Belief may have been getting ‘all defensive’ in favour of our ‘spiritual’ brethren from the differing views of us belligerent savage types. Just because you’re paranoid disnae mean they’re not out to get you! For the sake of words without feelings, that is a joke!! Understood, thanks again. 👍🤝

John S
Admin
3 months ago
Reply to  Harry Clark

No, there is not a spiritual bone in my body. However, I don’t mind if someone who identifies as an atheist also is comfortable with spirituality. It’s not my path, but I don’t mind if someone shares their experience from their own personal understanding.