Every A.A. group ought to be fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions.
AA Beyond Belief belongs to you. This is your site and it’s your experience, strength and hope that is shared here. You write the articles and often contribute the photographs to go with those articles. It’s your stories that are told on our podcasts. Simply put, there would be no AA Beyond Belief without you. This is your secular AA community, or at least one part of that community.
Let’s not forget though, that we are also here for the newcomer, and what we do here is vitally important. Through sharing our experience, we demonstrate that agnostics, atheists and freethinkers can find sobriety in AA without having to accept anyone else’s beliefs or to deny their own. We are ensuring that the nonbeliever who is still suffering from alcoholism, will find hope here. They will know that they are not alone, that AA is for them too.
Together, we take responsibility to ensure that what we value and what have found helpful and meaningful, will also be available for the newcomer. We find that when we are self-supporting through our own contributions, our sense of responsibility is enhanced, and this site, this community becomes ours in a very real sense. It’s ours to share with others.
- $50.00 per month for website hosting with Go Daddy. This is paid annually in the amount of $600 every March. We are using the Business Enterprise plan which gives us dedicated resources, helping to improve the load time of our web pages.
- $1.49 per month for SiteLock which provides added security for the site. This is paid annually, every March $17.88 per year.
- $5.83 per month for Go Daddy SSL Certificate. This provides added security for users to the site and is paid annually, every March at 70.00 per year.
- $40.00 per month to host podcast media at Blubrry. This provides us with 500 MB of monthly storage.
- $20.00 per month for Mailchimp. This is used to maintain our mail list and to send weekly announcements.
- $4.16 TunesToTube. We pay $25 every six months for the ability to upload podcast audio to YouTube. This makes our podcasts available to a wider audience and helps improve search engine results, which furthers our primary purpose of carrying the message of recovery in AA.
- $19.98 per month to Grammarly for editing software. This is paid quarterly at $59.95
- $15.00 to Zoom for online audio/video meetings.
- $15.00 to SoundCloud for hosting audio stories.
Total Monthly Expenses: $171.46
AA Beyond Belief is registered as a nonprofit corporation in the State of Missouri, and is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) corporation. We are operated by a Board of Directors consisting of Doris A., President, John S., Treasurer, and Thomas B., Secretary. Board members will serve a two-year term. The first election will be held in November, 2018.
We are in the process of creating the bylaws that will serve as a blueprint for the organization, and to provide accountability to the Fellowship. We have posted here the bylaws as they stand today. These have not been ratified or completed; they are still very much a work-in-progress. Please review them and provide us with your input.
AA Beyond Belief Bylaws (Not Ratified and Still a Work-in-Progress)
The day to day operation of the site is handled by the Editorial Board which consists of volunteers who have the skills and abilities to perform specific tasks necessary to operate the site. The Editorial Board includes one Chief Editor, five Editors, three Graphic Artists, two Podcast Production Specialists, and a Special Advisor. The Chief Editor makes the final editorial decisions often with consultation and feedback from the other editors. The Graphic Artists are responsible for artwork and design, and the podcast production team creates the audio podcasts, transcripts and podcast write-ups.
The Board and all those who work at AA Beyond Belief are unpaid volunteers.
The content at AA Beyond Belief will always be free to the end user. The only exception is the monthly magazine that we publish via Kindle. Amazon requires a minimum charge of 99 cents, of which 70% is paid to Amazon, and 30% is paid to AA Beyond Belief.
We do not want to make money at this, and we will make sure that you will always know how much money we have in the bank. We will pay our bills and maintain a prudent reserve of six month’s expenses. Anything above our prudent reserve will be donated to Secular AA.
We will always be open and honest about our finances. Our bank statements and any other relevant documents will be posted here for your review and we will always welcome any questions or suggestions. You can post your comments and questions publicly right on this very page, or if you prefer you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of August 31, 2017, our bank account balance was $631.42, and our PayPal balance was $68.87 for a total in cash assets of $700.29